Friday 6 February 2015

Something For The Weekend...


After a long hiatus (more than 4 months), I could contain my inner bartender no longer and felt compelled to take up my cocktail shaker and mix up a little something for the weekend...

Of course, I can't claim to have endured a period of abstinence over the last few months, but the lead up to Christmas proved to the busiest yet for Toasted Glass and there was scant time for cocktails, never mind photographing them or writing about them. The festive period is now over and although things are a little calmer, it would be unrealistic to think that I could resume the blog as before, but I hope to entice you with the occasional cocktail, just to get the weekend off to a good start.

During my blogging sabbatical, I developed a love of martinis, not least because they are simple to mix, requiring only a couple of ingredients (of the highest quality of course). This cocktail takes the basic martini ingredients of gin and vermouth and adds a little a little ginger, basil and lime to give it a distinctive Thai flavour. Faintly reminiscent of a Jo Malone scented candle (in a good way), this is fresh and zesty with a spicy warmth that will remind you of warmer climes whilst melting away the winter chill.

Siam Gin Cocktail

1oz Gin (I used No.3 London Dry Gin)
1oz Dolin Chambery Vermouth Dry
1oz Dolin Chambery Vermouth Blanc
1/2oz Ginger Liqueur (I used Catron Ginger )
10ml freshly squeezed lime juice
2 basil leaves (thai basil if you can get it)
sprig of basil to garnish

In the bottom of a shaker, gently muddle (squish) the basil with the gin.
Add a handful of ice cubes along with the remaining ingredients (bar the garnish) and pop on the lid.
Holding it tightly shut, shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker develops a frosty bloom and double strain the drink into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with fresh sprig of basil (to release the aroma, gently slap the herb between your palms, before popping it in the glass)



1 comment:

  1. I don’t consume alcohol so this post wasn’t really for me. Glad to know you enjoyed your martini. Wish you would post a nonalcoholic version of the drink.

    ReplyDelete